Pages

Friday, 26 June 2015

Stage Challenge 2015

This blog is going to be my diary. I tried to actually, you know, write a diary, but that was very time consuming, and as I'm in my first year of high school, we all know that time is like diamond. Rare, but when we do have it, we bask in it.


Anyway, here is my first post, Stage Challenge!

26/6/15

So last night, I competed in the Stage Challenge competition! It was literally the best night of my ENTIRE LIFE!                                    
Our theme was feminism, and our AMAZING leaders were so passionate about our topic and the fact that they cared so much that there are more male CEO's called John than there are women CEO's in the WORLD is insane.

For our performance, we wanted to show three things. The shadows of misogyny, (hatred of women) , the perfect dolls women are expected to be (obviously that was us, look at our faces), and the glass ceiling work force (think of John!!)

Although we came second, everyone was super proud of all we had achieved - the 6 hour practices each Sunday, all the afternoon rehearsals... - and also we wanted to get the message that feminism, and meninisim is an issue and if people do nothing about it then it won't get better.

Anyway.
We had to arrive at the Aotea centre at 7:00, at the balmy temperature of 2 DEGREES!! We waited, went inside, waited some more, got our fluro yellow wrist bands, then went inside our dressing room. We had the first rehearsal, at 8:45, so we took off our track pants, put on our jazz shoes and went to the stage. The stage was amazing! You could see the lights, the judging panel, the sea of chairs, it was so exciting! The set was already in place and we began the first of our third run throughs. It was really fun!

After we had our final run-through we came back to our dressing room, and we had the Morning Production Meeting. This was where all the schools came together into the hall and had a party. We sang karaoke, danced, and we also chose the order of performance. We were going to be 8th up!


Afterwards we were free to roam the city. We got Subway for lunch, then we went to some other stores. We went to Daiso, and I got washi tape.... ! 
                                                           We came back to the Aotea centre, ate our lunch, then we moved onto makeup and hair. Our faces were very creepy, as you may have noticed. They had to glue down our eyebrows with a glue stick so they could redraw them with liquid eyeliner. They also drew on bottom lashes!!! Our hair was in a high ponytail with a ribbon, and it was curled, then hairsprayed into a rock. When I woke up this morning, it was still in curls!!!

We had lots of free time after that. We went back into the city, and we received lots of strange looks from everyone!! We went into Sals Pizza, and my friends ordered dinner (haiiiiii) (inside joke).
When we came back, I had to get my cracks done, and my lips redone. Our lips were painted white with a heart in the middle, so as soon as anyone ate ANYTHING the lips smudged.

After a little wait we had the Afternoon production meeting. This was the same as the earlier one, except the different name. We also had a dance-off between the '5plus a day' cabbage mascot and our school lion. The poor cabbage was outnumbered 3 to one and he was being surrounded by twerking and crumping lions!!!            
  At 5:00 it was lockdown time so we went back into the dressing room and got prepared to go on stage. After another wait we finally got to put on our costumes!!! Everyone was absolutely buzzing!!!

After a lot of waiting, we were backstage! It was time to go on!! I was super nervous, but, the show must go on so when it was my time I went onstage, my creepy doll face happening to the max! It went so quickly, and soon enough we were back in the dressing room, elated, and after celebrating we quickly huddled around the projector as we awaited the awards ceremony. We cleaned up in the awards, there were only two we didn't get. The drama award and the Spirit award, however we got excellence in lighting, set, choreography, makeup and movement!!!

When they announced we were second, some people were sad because our school has quite a high reputation, however, I was happy we got a PLACE!!!

We got home at around 10:30, which wasn't too late compared to other years. The leaders I've had this year were amazing, so inspirational and I will miss you so much when you leave next year :( .
I can't wait for next years Stage Challenge, but, now I'm not sure what to do with my Sundays!!
  You guys have been my family and I'm definetly going to be missing this!!

(I want to get the DVD so I can relive it all!!!)

Love from L!!! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment