Pages

Sunday, 28 June 2015

Piping hot waffles and coconut chocolate milk!

28/6/15                                            
These waffles are a tradition in our family. Whether it's Christmas, a birthday, a brunch or just a weekend morning, we have these same waffles. The waffles haven't let us down, they are ALWAYS delicious and scrummyThis morning, my dad and I decided to make waffles, a celebration to the fact that me and my sister finally have our Sundays free, now that Stage Challenge is over!! 
Today I decided to split my waffle into three - the one heart had maple syrup, the heart on the left had lemon sugar (I'm always so confused - do you put the lemon first or the sugar?) and the one on the right had honey. They were all delicious, but being honest I preferred the sugar and lemon. Refreshing, tangy, but sweet as well. I LOVE WAFFLES!!



To make the waffles, you need:

  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 TBSP caster sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 75g melted butter
METHOD

  1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Separate eggs, putting the whites in a grease-free bowl (I use the  stainless steel bowl from the Kitchen Aid) and yolks in a jug.
  2. Whisk egg yolks with milk, vanilla extract and lemon zest. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer (Kitchen Aid) until stiff peaks form. Pour milk and yolk mix into dry ingredients, adding melted butter, and stir until combined. Mix in a large TBSP of egg whites, then fold the rest in with a large spoon.
  3. Place waffles in a waffle iron, a little under 1 cup, then put the lid on and wait until the green light pops up (do all waffle irons do that?). It looks all golden and delicious!!!
{RECIPE IS FROM JULIE BIUSO AND ALL CREDITS GO TO HER!!}
Options for toppings are... 
  • Bacon, banana and maple syrup
  • Ice-cream
  • Whipped cream
  • Lemon and sugar
  • Honey
  • Or, anything your heart desires, really.

Once I'd eaten, my mum and I went for a walk around the block. We went to the Commonsense Organics health food shop and we picked up some delicious goodies!! 

One of the things we found was the Little Island chocolate milk. I had found out about this brand because my friend, who's allergic to dairy showed me their 'Nice Blocks', the dairy free, coconut based ice-cream, which she has now got me addicted to, and I enjoy it more than normal dairy ice-cream. 

Anyway, we tried the chocolate milk and it was delicious! All the ingredients are natural, which makes it super-duper healthy! 

The milk itself is creamy but doesn't leave you with the 'full fat creamy taste' in your mouth. It has little coconut pieces (like, really really small, so small you don't notice) and it just tastes so good! I think I prefer this milk over the whittakers chocolate milk, although that is still amazing!
I find that all of the Little Island products are very refreshing and I love the taste of coconut things! (with the exception of coconut water).           ALSO!! The milk comes in a super cute glass bottle, which means once you finish the drink you can wash the bottle, peel off the label and use it as a super cut storage jar! Or you could take some instagram pics, you know, the smoothie with the paper straw.....         Byeeeeee! :)
All reviews are my own and I am expressing my own opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment